Tuesday, November 4, 2008

"sirius"-ly..... classical

I have been rocking out (well, not really rocking out...but happily listening) to Sirius Pops Classical Station today at work.

It has put me in the best mood ever! It's great!! Not only have I been able to enjoy some of my favorite classical songs, but also great movie theme songs that are so beautiful.

In the past hour, besides some amazing Mozart and Beethoven, I've heard the Titanic theme song, The Star Wars theme song, and the Wizard of Oz theme song!!! All of which are gorgeous tunes. WOW, I can't wait till the Holiday Season really kicks into gear - this station will ROCK! Oh, my poor work neighbors. Don't worry ladies, I'll keep it quiet. :-)

I've been on a serious classical kick lately. I recently purchased on iTunes a recording of the Mozart Clarinet Concerto in A major, a song that literally was my life for about four years. I learned and tried to master all three movements of the Concerto. After about four years, I finally had mastered it to the best of my ability...My last recital of high school, I was able to play the 1st Movement with our symphony. I need to find that recording - it would be funny to hear that now. I even played that piece in college and used it for my final recital. Unfortunately, I had to let the clarinet go to work harder in my classes and try to pursue the RIM degree, which was challenging enough on its own without having to practice 2-3 hours a day! Clarinet is one thing that I used to be really, really, really good at, that I cannot believe I let go. But listening to that Concerto, still remembering the fingerings (no, perverts) and the way to play it, really puts me in a happy place.

With that said, I've decided to try and get back into it. I just can't throw away years and years of practice and competition and tryouts and beautiful music (and my parents money). So, I'm looking to join a local (not professional, just fun) symphony or orchestral group. No big commitment, maybe just one night a week and a concert here and there... I've looked online for some, and I can't seem to find any! Do we not have any local orchestras here? Is it the NSO or bust? Help!

Yay for classical.

No comments: