That's what I have. Diagnosed. Official. Even though I was pretty sure that's what it was anyway (I mean, we're living in the online research "be your own doctor" age, aren't we?)
So, I went to the dermatologist today for my annual mole screening (i'll get to that in a minute...ugh) and made sure to ask about this itchy hivey welty insane ruining-my-life thing that has been going on for a little over a year. I had done some research, and figured it was dermatographism, but wasn't 100% sure. It literally means "skin writing," because you can actually write words on your skin formed from hives. It is a form of hives where your skin is allergic to being touched (with heavy pressure) or scratched. I get it even from being cold, hot, and from the slightest scratch on my skin - one scratch of an itch, and my skin becomes a raging field of long, linear hives within minutes. The worst is my bra and waistband area.....always, always, itchy. :(
It only affects 4-5% of the population - wow, am I lucky. If there was a "get wacky health shit" lottery, I'd be a winner with all the crazy health issues I've had in my lifetime. The good news with this anomaly is that it can mostly be managed with anti-histamines. So I will pick up my prescription ASAP to start hopefully feeling some relief. I'm glad I finally have an answer, but not glad that I have to live on anti-histamines forever unless I want these symptoms to come back.
**This is NOT me, just a picture I found on google images....some people use the condition to make art - hey, why not make the most of what you're dealt? It's actually kind of cool if you google image the condition; you'll find some amazing stuff. Some stuff very similar to what my skin looks like most of the time. And while it might sound fun and interesting, don't come trying to write on my skin, because it will work, but I will be hurting and itching for quite a while afterwards. :)
The mole situation: I have a strong family history of cancer, malignant melanoma being one of them. I am pretty "moley," even though most of them aren't raised, so they really don't bother me too much. I actually like them.
But, with the family history, I try to really be aware of my moles and if/when they change, etc as I have a much higher chance of having skin cancer than someone without a family history. I even have them on the bottom of my feet and on my scalp. They took off three of my moleys today. Ugh. One was driving me nuts and itching, bleeding, etc...so I knew it was a goner. One I didn't even know I had, and one I kind of suspected she wouldn't like as it went from brown to black and was rather large. She disliked that one the most, and disliked it strongly - it was rather alarming. And painful. Local anesthetic is ok and all, but it hurts like hell going in, and I am rather uncomfortable (and even a bit shaky) at the moment, given that I have three holes in my neck, stomach, and back. And now lovely scars to go along with it.
Moral of the story: go to the dermatologist, even if you don't have a family history. don't use tanning beds. wear sunscreen, PLEASE. And be aware of and love your skin, as it's the only skin you get. I'll get my results in 7-10 days, so I'll keep everyone posted. I won't worry too much about it - after all, it might be nothing, and if it is anything bad, at least I'll know.


No comments:
Post a Comment