Tuesday, January 12, 2010

update. health, 2010: the saga.

So, the update on my overall health situation: (in case you care).

Moles. Well, I didn't get the best news of my life yesterday. It could have been worse, definitely, but it could have been better, too. Out of three moles they removed, one was benign, but two were dysplastic. Which means, abnormal, pre-cancerous, whatever you want to call them. They aren't melanoma, but they aren't good either. The good news is, they're gone. They're off my body and can do no more harm. I will continue to monitor and see if I have anything else grow back from what was removed, and the doc will keep a close eye on my moleys.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to go get a skin check. Health Insurance covers it. It's a doctor's visit, 30 minutes, some medium discomfort if they take any biopsies, but it could really be worth it. It was for me. Had I not gone and gotten those moles checked and removed, they would still be on me, just waiting to get worse. And I will continue to get my annual screenings, because even if a mole isn't bothering me, it could be a bad one that only the doctor will recognize.

Nashville Skin and Cancer. Please call, make an appointment. It might be the best decision you make all year.

In other health news, I am already starting to feel better, now that I'm back from the holidays and being proactive about my health. I'm back on the daily plate (when I can remember) and I'm trying to really focus on my calorie intake (that's what works for me) and get good exercise. My apartment just opened a gym, and it's small. I'd rather be 1 of 200 at the Y, than 1 of 3 in my apt gym, so I don't really know how much I'll be using it.

I've actually been rockin' out on my wii fit this week. I jogged in place last night for 30 mins, and it was a really good workout. It told me I jogged over 3 miles - hmm, if you say so! I have incorporated using my 5 lb hand weights into the step aerobics, and 30 mins of that will definitely work - you feel it the next day for SURE. Adding in a bit of yoga and strength training, and I'm really enjoying it.

I have also only consumed alcohol one night so far this month - 3 beers, I believe, was the total. And I only plan on consuming this weekend (in moderation) because it's my sister's birthday. But I really feel better not drinking. I REALLY miss my evening red wine that I had on occasion, but I'm ok without it. I've been guzzling down the green tea and water at work. I'm drinking a hot cocoa right now. Not feeling too guilty about it because it's my substitute for a dessert.

This morning I woke up and felt thinner. I don't care if it's mental, or if it's really happening. I just felt good, and that's the goal.

GOD I WANT A COOKIE. DAMNIT.

No comments: