I watched the opening monologue of this movie last night, and it really made sense...
“…Here you find civilized man. Civilized man refused to adapt himself to his environment. Instead, he adapted his environment to suit him.
So he built cities, roads, vehicles, machinery. And he put up power lines to run his labor-saving devices. But he didn’t know when to stop.
The more he improved his surroundings to make life easier, the more complicated he made it. Now his children are sentenced to years of school, to learn how to survive in this complex and hazardous habitat.
And civilized man, who refused to adapt to his surroundings, now finds he has to adapt and re-adapt every hour of the day to his self-created environment.
For instance, if it’s Monday and 8:00 comes up, you have to dis-adapt from your domestic surroundings…and re-adapt yourself to an entirely different environment. 9:00 means everybody has to look busy. 10:30 means you can stop looking busy for 5 minutes…And then, you have to look busy again. Your day is chopped into pieces. In each segment of time…you adapt to new circumstances.
No wonder some people go off the rails a bit.”
So he built cities, roads, vehicles, machinery. And he put up power lines to run his labor-saving devices. But he didn’t know when to stop.
The more he improved his surroundings to make life easier, the more complicated he made it. Now his children are sentenced to years of school, to learn how to survive in this complex and hazardous habitat.
And civilized man, who refused to adapt to his surroundings, now finds he has to adapt and re-adapt every hour of the day to his self-created environment.
For instance, if it’s Monday and 8:00 comes up, you have to dis-adapt from your domestic surroundings…and re-adapt yourself to an entirely different environment. 9:00 means everybody has to look busy. 10:30 means you can stop looking busy for 5 minutes…And then, you have to look busy again. Your day is chopped into pieces. In each segment of time…you adapt to new circumstances.
No wonder some people go off the rails a bit.”
Food for thought...anyway... so the weekend in review:
*Got a lot done around the house - I am finally moved in! Emptied the last box of shit last night at 11pm~ ugh.
*Saw the Batman movie. Fucking increds. Heath Ledger was amazing - I finally realized how great of an actor he was, and I was sad to think that his career probably would have really gone places after this movie.... sad. But Christian Bale - holy hell Batman. I can't even talk about it. I loved how long the movie was - oh, and we saw it on IMAX which I think made all the difference. Geezus. Amazing!
*Exercise TV on Demand. Now, this is what an hour of my Saturday morning consisted of, and I'm still feeling it. I woke up at 9am, and was like, damnit, I'm fat. I need to work out (side note - I'm fat because my new b.c. pill has packed on about 5 pounds of solid water weight, so I look like a manatee.) Anyway, so yea, I decide that I want to work out. Hmm, I recalled a convo that Chester Copperpot and I had about Exercise TV on Demand. So I turn it on, and realize that there's a whole WORLD of stuff on there!!
I started with "AM Yoga," a nice, 12 minute start up routine that made me sweat a little. Then, once I feel pretty damn awake, I get real ballsy and select "Tae Bo with Billy Banks" (or whatever his name is)... holy cow. All I can say is, I'm very glad that I have never elected to take any of those kickboxing classes at the Y, because now I know how freaking ridiculous I would have looked. Thank GOD that I was in the privacy of my own home, and during the kick/punch quick change, that no one else had to witness the hilarity and sadness of that spectacle. I even had to give up at one point because I just wasn't fast enough. I just started laughing.
So, heart rate WAY UP, sweat pouring off of me, I decide to cool down with another (longer) yoga routine. I got about half way through it when I realized that my blood sugar was probably in the dangerously low level b/c I hadn't eaten a damn thing and I was def. in the negative calorie zone for the day and getting dizzy.....so I stopped. But I feel that I got a GREAT workout! And it was something different. And I didn't have to worry about people seeing me look a fool! I think I'm going to try and stick with it for a while.....see what happens!
Enough about all that.... but the weekend as a whole was great. Got to spend a good amount of time with the bf, and got a lot done, and I'm still sore from a great (however embarrasing it might have been) workout. Going to Florida on Wednesday until next Monday, and wow am I excited. Excited to get away from work for a while, away from Nashville, away from responsibility....away from moving....just away. I really have only taken one actual vacation this year (my weekend trips home are not a vacation by any means) so this will be very nice. I've only taken two days off work this whole year thus far, so I'm definitely looking forward to this!!!
bueno.
here's to kickin' it like tae bo...


2 comments:
I so feel your pain. I have illegal cable right now, so I can't do On-Demand, but I should be able to next week. Anytime you're up at 5:30am on a Monday morning & feel like working out to the point of puking and/or passing out, you're welcome to join me outside at Elmington Park for Bikini Boot Camp. If I can do it, anyone can.
good post, meghs. i can imagine you doing tae bo in your living room. i can imagine how bad it was, because that's how bad it would be if i tried it! ha ha.
Post a Comment