Monday, July 21, 2008

home is where the mom is

So, went back to the fab state of MD this weekend, and I've decided, it's the most fucking gorgeous place in the WAYOLD!! (said in a new york accent, here's to you aunt charmaine.)
It's beautiful. It's peaceful. It's fun. Why did I leave again? Oh yea, no music biz in good ole' South County (lovingly referred to as SoCo by the locals). I am glad I don't "live" there, but I love visiting. I just wish it could be for more than a few days.

First things first. I inherited a camera from my mum. She gave me her childhood Kokak Brownie Hawkeye, an amazing old box camera which was made from the late 40's through the early 60's. it's OLD. but i love it. and, i think it still works. Here's what it looks like!!



I love it. I can't wait to get a bulb and some film and take some rad medium format photos!

Other things that happened this weekend included....lots of eating (mmmm it was all so delish) lots of drinking (too much) and some good friend-seeing and mom-visiting. Overall, besides the heinous hangover I had on Sunday, it was a great trip. Mom and I layed out by the pool, or, in the pool rather, ALL DAY on Sunday. Literally, for about 6 hours. It was so nice. We talked, laughed, and she tried to nurse me back to health with homemade miami vices (for those of you who don't know, a miami vice is 1/2 strawberry daquri and 1/2 pina colada. mmmm). I first turned her on to them in Jamaica two years ago and she's been hooked ever since. It's the perfect combo of both - not too much of either. Love them.....

Sidenote: I am eating the most amazing chicken salad sandwich right now and for this reason I will never, ever, become a vegetarian.

So yea, the weekend was great. I'm glad to be back, with the exception that I'm kind of Tennessee-d out right now. Don't get me wrong, I love it here. But I need an actual vacation. Like being away from work when I should be at work and everyone else is at work. Not just a weekend home. Next week I'm going to Ormond Beach, FL for 5 days with my mom, sis, my aunt and her two kids (our age). It's our yearly trip to see our Grandparents who live there, and it's always filled with lots of daquiris and food and SUN. So I can't wait. Get the hell away from the office for a while. Nice. Hopefully when I get back, I won't be so hateful. I'm pretty hateful right now.

I turn 25 on August 8th. I'm really excited. I love birthdays. Presents aside, it's getting to be with the people I love and knowing that they love me that makes birthdays amazing. I always feel so lucky to have the friends that I have on my birthday. I feel that in my 25 years on this earth, I've done a lot of good things. I've done a LOT of not-so good things, but I have a great family, fabulous boyfriend who gets me through the day, great friends, and a good job. Wait, great job. It's stressful as hell sometimes, but I am really lucky. Lucky lucky lucky.

warm fuzzies.


my backyard, below.... sigh.



And my Jewell....she makes me smile.





3 comments:

ND said...

she makes me smile :)

Anonymous said...

Cute dog! As you know, my better half hails from MD as well. I go home with him at least once a year. I like Maryland, but I LOVE DC. That whole area is great.

Emotional Mullet said...

Jewell looks like she is smiling!

I can't believe that you are about to be 25...when I am about to be 25 too!

Frick. I mean 35. Whatever!

We will celebrate together!