Monday, October 6, 2008

goings-on

So, some food updates, ideas, and things I've seen....

Day 8!!! And feeling GREAT. ha. i couldn't resist.

First off, wow for the weekend. I ate like the word "health" wasn't even in my vocab! Friday night Cord and I had plans of going on a nice date - you know, dinner and movie. Nothing spectacular. But long overdue. Well, after a few beers at Red Door, we instead decided to eat Hot Italian Beef for dinner and just go home and rent a movie. There were no good movies that we could rationalize spending $7 on for an on-demand HD movie, so we free-movied Donnie Darko (which Cord had never seen) and we both passed out quite early. Needless to say, it was a fun night filled with beer and bad-for-me food. But oh so fun. And, my roomate made pumpkin bread pudding and made the mistake of telling me to have as much as I want. Bad news bears.

Saturday, we babysat for Cord's boss' 4 year old son. SO IN LOVE!! He is a ball of energy, but SO sweet and such a good kid. We had a blast! We did eat some pizza though, so sin #3 of the weekend!! Then we went to Red Door yet again, and drank moore beer. Sin #4, 5, 6.....10

By Sunday I was so sick of eating like a fat man that I went to Kroger and got lots of healthy foodages. I have a bowl of raw peppers and cucumber that I can use for a snack or to throw on some lettuce for a great little salad. Oh, and speaking of lettuce....

I have a strange relationship with lettuce, as you might know from reading previous posts of mine. But mostly, it's just so hard to keep fresh, it's not accessible, and it's just been an overall pain for me. SO, I've still been trying to perfect my method of lettuce storage, preservation, and comsumption. I think I've found a good method. Buy a head of lettuce, rinse it. Chop it up into sections and store in a large (with some space so it's not all smooshed together, thus becoming slimy) tupperware container in the fridge. This way, it's already cut for you so you're more tempted to eat it and put it in things....and it is very accessible. I think it's going to be the start of a new relationship between muggins and lettuce.

So, some other exciting things I'm amped about eating that I got: Morningstar buffalo "chik" nuggets - mmmm.....also got some meatless crumbles and some organic mac n cheese that I might throw together.....and last night I made (thanks to the inspiration from Orange Bicycle) whole wheat penne with chicken apple sausage in a marinara sauce. and MMMM it's yummy! Especially with some of that bad ass cheese from Whole Foods. Heaven!!

So, with all that said, I definitely think the key to eating healthy (and stick with it) is to ENJOY it and to actually take the time to make tasty, healthy, fun, exciting things to eat and you won't get burned out!! Like anything, you gotta keep it interesting!

Speaking of keeping healthy eating fun and exciting....In my daily Hungry-Girl email today, I saw this. What a great idea!!

until next time....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize people actually bought lettuce. I've only bought those bagged salads. They last forever, which I guess should worry me more than it does...